Digital Drawings

Friday, September 23, 2005

Illustration Friday: FRESH

Still Life of Fresh Fruit. THE PEACH AND PLUM
A few weeks ago I was having a drawing lull, nothing came easily. So I decided I needed a drastic change, instead of drawing the usual cartoony offerings from imagination, I would do some digital still life paintings from actual real to goodness objects. Since I was looking for some changes, I used digital brushes that I had little experience with. The paintings would be practice pieces to learn and work with some of the brushes I am not use to using. “The peach and plum” was one of these digital paintings.

In Corel Painter 8, I started with a blank 850x1100 canvas at 300 resolution. I grabbed a peach and plum out of my refrigerator and set them on my computer desk. I painted with the digital oil brushes, blending them with the grainy blenders, I finished the peach’s surface with a glazing sponge and the specks on the plum with the leaky pen. The pattern on the hand made pottery dish was broken up with the shatter tool. The shadows were painted on a gel layer. There are about 18 layers, less than I usually use, mostly because I painted over and over on the same layer and then used the blending tool on the same layer. I’m posting this for two reasons, as a reminder that a fun way to get unstuck is to do something absolutely different than usual, and to encourage artists that are limiting themselves to vector programs, that they really can get a very different look and have a huge amount of fun with Corel Painter. ( And if Painter is too pricey to pop for, Wacom’s cheapest tablet $99, comes bundled with Painter Essential, a fun but slightly vamped down version of Painter.) And no I don’t work for Corel, I just love to use Painter. Best Regards, Jacque Davis.

3 Comments:

At 10:09 AM, Blogger carla said...

This looks amazing! I totally agree that it's good to shake things up a bit ansd try a new approach. I actually just got Painter 9 (I think it's 9...) that came as an extra goodie with a CS2 bundle I purchased recently. I haven't installed it yet, but your illustration has inspired me to try to get to it this weekend. That fruit looks delicious! I want to eat it. Thanks for sharing your process:>

 
At 12:38 PM, Blogger Tony Sarrecchia said...

Wow. That came out great...there is a nice level of detial on the peach. Did you use multiply as the blend?

 
At 7:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Jacque, I love your apple. Isn't it nice to figure out an interesting use for the shatter brush in Painter?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home